RSS   Help?
add movie content
Back

Church of St. John the Baptist

  • Italia
  •  
  • 0
  • 69 views

Share

icon rules
Distance
0
icon time machine
Duration
Duration
icon place marker
Type
Luoghi religiosi
icon translator
Hosted in
Inglese

Description

There was already in the VIII-IX century a chapel, then demolished to make room for the parish, in Romanesque style, dedicated to Santa Maria, mentioned in a bull of 1186 of Pope Urban III. The bell tower and some walls of the presbytery date back to that period. In fact, around 1570 the Romanesque church was demolished and a new sacred building was built, dedicated to San Giovanni Battista. In addition to the altars, the church preserves real masterpieces, such as the choir stalls of the presbytery and the wooden benches and counter of the sacristy, a work of the early eighteenth century by the sculptor Giacomo Luchini.

image map
footer bg