Situated at the northeastern tip of Greece, the capital of the peripheral unit of Evros resembles a mosaic of culture and civilization, composed of the most diverse pieces in terms of customs and traditions; a place that unites east and west with an illustrious history and incomparable natural beauty. The construction of the city of Alexandroupoli is of relatively recent date. As a settlement it was created by the Austrians, who planned the construction of the Macedonia-Thrace railway line; as a city it was founded by the Russians, around 1870, who were enthusiastic about its location and designed an excellent urban plan. The town was originally named "Dedeagach" which meant "grandfather's tree"; however, in 1920 it was named Alexandroupoli in honor of the then King Alexander -not Alexander the Great, as many believe. Today, the town is the starting point for excursions to the enchanting locations of the outlying unit of Evros.