RSS   Help?
add movie content
Back

Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza

  • Paseo de Cristóbal Colón, 12, 41001 Sevilla, Sevilla, Spagna
  •  
  • 0
  • 863 views

Share

icon rules
Distance
0
icon time machine
Duration
Duration
icon place marker
Type
Siti Storici
icon translator
Hosted in
Inglese

Description

Originally bullfights were held at the Plaza de San Francisco, a historic square near the city hall of Seville. The first wooden, temporary arena was built in 1730 near the current location of the Plaza de Toros. The arena had a rectangular shape which was an advantage for the bulls, who could retreat in a corner. It was considered unsafe for the bullfighters and in 1933 the structure was replaced by a circular arena, also in wood. In 1761 it was decided to erect a permanent venue at the site of a flea market. The magnificent bullring we see today was designed by Vicente San Martín, who created an elegant structure in a typical regional style. It would take more than a century before the arena was finally completed in 1881. Today it can host some 12,500 spectators. At the foot of the bullring is a statue of Francisco Romero López, better known as Curro Romero, a famous torero from Seville who was active from the 1950s until the late 1990s.

image map
footer bg