Built in 1608, all the works were completed net 1660. Cardinal Passionei, in 1738, made it a center of culture and social life, adding a country residence for himself and his family, making the Hermitage lose its original setting as a hermitage. When the Cardinal died, all the buildings he had built were demolished. The monks abandoned the Hermitage during the Napoleonic (1810-15) and Italian (1873-96) suppressions. After the suppression of the Congregation of the Hermits, it became the General House of the Congregation of the Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona and the seat of the novitiate.