🎄 Win a month in Italy for two — €10,000 · The Secret Italy Prize GO →
Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta — Maddaloni
← Back
Palaces, Villas and Castles 📍 Maddaloni, Italy 290 views

Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta

Starza Penta Casino The first news about the Palace dates back to 1552 and is mentioned as 'Starza della masseria delle Torri' in the act of donation that Diomede II made to his wife Roberta di Stigliano. It is then cited in 1610 among the possessions of Diomede IV with the name...

Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta — Maddaloni, Italy.

Location
Maddaloni
Type
Palaces, Villas and Castles
Opening hours
Weather now
↗ Directions

About Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta

Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta - Maddaloni | Secret World Trip Planner

Starza Penta Casino The first news about the Palace dates back to 1552 and is mentioned as 'Starza della masseria delle Torri' in the act of donation that Diomede II made to his wife Roberta di Stigliano. It is then cited in 1610 among the possessions of Diomede IV with the name of Starza Penta. The structure of the farm, in the sixteenth-century phase, was fortified with watchtowers, of which two remain, and traces are also preserved at the foundation level, in the main body and in the courtyard.

With the rise to power of the seventh Duke Martius III (1660-1703), the farm underwent radical restoration work and was transformed into a hunting lodge and leisure villa, without giving up the vast productive activity that counted on a 70-meggi estate.

During the reign of Charles III of Bourbon the building experienced its period of greatest lustre, often hosting the sovereign on his frequent hunting trips. After Charles III left for Spain, in 1759 the Casino began a slow decline. Passed in the early 1800s to the Carafa of the Colubrano branch, it was requisitioned in 1850 to house a contingent of soldiers of the 13th "Swiss Hunters". Returned to the Carafa in 1855, in the following year it was purchased by the notary Raffaele Palladino who renovated the facade. The present day layout reflects that of the restoration desired by Marzio III, only partially modified by subsequent interventions aimed at transforming the structure from Casino da Caccia to an urban building in the mid 1800s.

In 1939 it was expropriated and assigned first to the Military State Property and then from 1993 to the Historical and Artistic Property, currently in use at the Museum Pole of Campania.

✦ Secret World · suggested day

A perfect day in Maddaloni

Start with Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta, then continue with nearby places selected by Secret World.

  1. 01
    Morning
    Maddaloni | Casino of Starza Penta
    📍 Maddaloni
    Start here
  2. 02
    Afternoon
    📍 0 km away
  3. 03
    Evening
    📍 6.5 km away

Collect this place

Turn places you discover into stamps in your Secret Passport.

Open Secret Passport →

Keep exploring · Maddaloni

Frequently Asked Questions

The palace dates back to 1552 when it was mentioned as 'Starza della masseria delle Torri' in a donation act by Diomede II to his wife Roberta di Stigliano. Originally it functioned as a fortified farm with watchtowers, before being transformed into a hunting lodge and leisure villa under Duke Martius III in the late 1600s.
The Casino experienced its greatest period of splendor during the reign of Charles III of Bourbon, who frequently visited for hunting trips. After Charles III departed for Spain in 1759, the building gradually declined in importance and prestige.
Two of the original watchtowers that fortified the sixteenth-century farm structure remain standing, and traces of additional fortifications are preserved at the foundation level, in the main building body, and throughout the courtyard. The current layout primarily reflects the restoration work done by Marzio III, with only partial modifications from later interventions.
The Casino is currently part of the Museum Pole of Campania and is used for Historical and Artistic Property purposes. It has been under state protection since 1993, after being expropriated in 1939 and initially assigned to Military State Property.
The property passed through several owners including the Carafa family of the Colubrano branch in the early 1800s, was briefly requisitioned for soldiers in 1850, and was purchased by notary Raffaele Palladino in 1856 who renovated the facade. It eventually became state property in 1939 and is now managed as a cultural heritage site.

Experiences nearby · Maddaloni

Powered by Viator

See more on Viator.com

Secret World Hidden places, real stories — plan your trip
Get the app