🎄 Win a month in Italy for two — €10,000 · The Secret Italy Prize GO →
Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti — Ancona
← Back
Palaces, Villas and Castles 📍 Ancona, Italy 329 views

Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti

Loggia dei Mercanti was built in 1442 by the architect Giovanni Pace called Sodo, in a very prosperous period, from an economic point of view, for the city; the palace is located very close to the port, which has always been the fulcrum of the intense mercantile exchanges essenti...

Photo · Charleen M.

Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti — Ancona, Italy.

Location
Ancona
Type
Palaces, Villas and Castles
Opening hours
Weather now
↗ Directions

About Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti

Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti - Ancona | Secret World Trip Planner

Loggia dei Mercanti was built in 1442 by the architect Giovanni Pace called Sodo, in a very prosperous period, from an economic point of view, for the city; the palace is located very close to the port, which has always been the fulcrum of the intense mercantile exchanges essential for the economy of Ancona. It was intended to create a place for merchants' meetings and where they could freely deal with their trade.

Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti - Ancona | Secret World Trip Planner

The façade, in Venetian Gothic style, is by the architect Giorgio da Sebenico who worked there from 1451 to 1459. Divided into three parts by four columns in relief, each one ending with a pinnacle; each one contains a statue representing four cardinal virtues: from left to right they are: Hope, Fortress, Justice and Charity. The two lateral parts have large windows in coloured glass in the lower part in the shape of a concave ogival arch, closed since 1758 for static reasons. In the upper part there are blind mullioned windows and, in the central part, there is a statue of the heraldic knight of the coat of arms of Ancona. The building designed by Giorgio da Sebenico originally had no windows on the ground floor, neither towards the street nor towards the port, as its name of loggia still indicates. In addition, the mullioned windows on the first floor were open, and only later were they plugged, for static reasons. A fire occurred during a carnival theatrical performance in 1556, made it necessary a remake made by Pellegrino Tibaldi between 1558 and 1561; he closed with fixtures the openings on the ground floor, making three round arches under the Gothic arches, and frescoed the vault of the inner hall. At the end of the 18th century the French government that occupied the city donated the property of the building to the Chamber of Commerce, but this deed was not recognized after the restoration of the papal dominion. Only with the annexation to the Kingdom of Italy did it return to the Chamber of Commerce.

Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti - Ancona | Secret World Trip Planner
✦ Secret World · suggested day

A perfect day in Ancona

Start with Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti, then continue with nearby places selected by Secret World.

  1. 01
    Morning
    Ancona | Loggia dei Mercanti
    📍 Ancona
    Start here
  2. 02
    Afternoon
    📍 0.1 km away
  3. 03
    Evening
    📍 0.1 km away

Collect this place

Turn places you discover into stamps in your Secret Passport.

Open Secret Passport →

Keep exploring · Ancona

Frequently Asked Questions

The Loggia dei Mercanti was built in 1442 by architect Giovanni Pace called Sodo during a prosperous economic period for Ancona. It was designed as a meeting place for merchants to conduct their trade freely, strategically located near the port which was vital to the city's economy.
The façade was designed by Giorgio da Sebenico, who worked on it from 1451 to 1459 in the Venetian Gothic style. The façade features four columns ending in pinnacles, each containing statues representing the cardinal virtues: Hope, Fortress, Justice, and Charity.
The large coloured glass windows on the lower lateral parts have been closed since 1758 for static and structural reasons. Additionally, after a devastating fire during a carnival performance in 1556, architect Pellegrino Tibaldi reconstructed the building between 1558-1561, closing the ground floor openings with fixtures and round arches for structural stability.
A fire occurred during a carnival theatrical performance in 1556, causing significant damage that necessitated major reconstruction. Pellegrino Tibaldi was commissioned to remake the building between 1558 and 1561, adding three round arches under the Gothic arches on the ground floor and frescoing the vault of the inner hall.
At the end of the 18th century, the French government that occupied Ancona donated the building to the Chamber of Commerce, but this transfer was not recognized after papal dominion was restored. The property finally returned to the Chamber of Commerce permanently after Ancona's annexation to the Kingdom of Italy.

Experiences nearby · Ancona

Powered by Viator

See more on Viator.com

Secret World @php $__al = $lang ?? app()->getLocale(); @endphp @if($__al === 'ko')숨겨진 명소, 진짜 이야기 — 여행을 계획하세요 @elseif($__al === 'ja')隠れた名所とリアルな物語 — 旅を計画しよう @elseHidden places, real stories — plan your trip@endif
@if($__al === 'ko')무료 앱 시작하기@elseif($__al === 'ja')無料アプリを入手@else Get the app @endif