🎄 Win a month in Italy for two — €10,000 · The Secret Italy Prize GO →
The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata — Matera
← Back
Palaces, Villas and Castles 📍 Matera, Italy 445 views

The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata

The Palazzo dell'Annunziata is a majestic building located in Piazza Vittorio Veneto in Matera. The date of construction is 1735, as can be read on the architrave of one of the entrances to the monastery. The architect Vito Valentino di Bitonto is in charge of the project; in 173...

Photo · Hillary A.

The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata — Matera, Italy.

Location
Matera
Type
Palaces, Villas and Castles
Opening hours
Weather now
↗ Directions

About The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata

The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata - Matera | Secret World Trip Planner

The Palazzo dell'Annunziata is a majestic building located in Piazza Vittorio Veneto in Matera.

The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata - Matera | Secret World Trip Planner

The date of construction is 1735, as can be read on the architrave of one of the entrances to the monastery. The architect Vito Valentino di Bitonto is in charge of the project; in 1734 the project is ready and in 1735 the works begin. The front part rests on the 16th century tower, belonging to the fortifications of Count Tramontano. The works proceeded at full speed until 1739, when Valentino was replaced by Mauro Manieri of Lecce, after internal friction. In 1747 the Dominican nuns took possession of the monastery. In 1844 the engineer Gaetano di Giorgio built the church of the Annunziata in the central courtyard of the monastic complex. In 1861 the monastery was suppressed and the goods were transferred to the municipal property.

The complex, now orphaned, becomes partly the seat of the Court and judicial offices and partly the seat of the middle school. In the early 1900's the clock that completes the main facade was placed on the cornice. After the earthquake of 1980, the judicial offices and the middle school were moved to other buildings, given the dangerous situation of the former convent. Now in total decay, in 1993 it was restored and on 14 May 1998, in the presence of the President of the Council of Ministers, Romano Prodi, the provincial library, located inside, was inaugurated.

Founded in 1933, based in Via Don Minzoni, then in Via San Rocco, in the Malvinni-Malvezzi palace in Piazza Duomo and the Cappuccini districts, the provincial library "Tommaso Stigliani", then finds its final seat. Inside, in addition to the important and vast collection of books and manuscripts, there was an important numismatic collection.

The old church has been used as a municipal cinema; and inside the building there is the provincial media library.

✦ Secret World · suggested day

A perfect day in Matera

Start with The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata, then continue with nearby places selected by Secret World.

  1. 01
    Morning
    The majestic Palazzo dell'Annunziata
    📍 Matera
    Start here
  2. 02
    Afternoon
    📍 0 km away
  3. 03
    Evening
    📍 0.1 km away

Collect this place

Turn places you discover into stamps in your Secret Passport.

Open Secret Passport →

Keep exploring · Matera

Frequently Asked Questions

Construction began in 1735 under the direction of architect Vito Valentino di Bitonto, whose project was completed in 1734. The palazzo was later completed under Mauro Manieri of Lecce starting in 1739 after Valentino's departure, with the front facade notably built upon a 16th-century tower from Count Tramontano's fortifications.
The palazzo now houses the provincial library 'Tommaso Stigliani,' which features an important and vast collection of books, manuscripts, and an impressive numismatic collection. The building also contains a provincial media library, and the old church within has been converted into a municipal cinema.
The palazzo is situated in Piazza Vittorio Veneto in Matera's historic center. The provincial library that occupies the building was officially inaugurated on May 14, 1998, by Romano Prodi, President of the Council of Ministers.
Following the 1980 earthquake, the judicial offices and middle school that occupied the building were relocated due to the dangerous structural condition of the former convent. The palazzo underwent complete restoration in 1993 and was subsequently reopened with the provincial library as its main tenant.
Dominican nuns took possession of the monastery in 1747 and lived there until the monastery was suppressed in 1861. The Church of the Annunziata was built in the central courtyard in 1844 by engineer Gaetano di Giorgio and has since been adapted for cultural use as a municipal cinema.

Experiences nearby · Matera

Powered by Viator

See more on Viator.com

Secret World Hidden places, real stories — plan your trip
Get the app